¾ pounds stewing steak cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 tablespoons plain flour
1 Table spoon Olive Oil
2 cups chopped onions
1 cup chopped peeled turnip
1 cup chopped peeled carrots
1 cup cauliflower florets
1 cup broccoli florets
1 cup chopped peeled yams
1 cup red-skinned sweet potatoes
1 cup chopped peeled potatoes
1 cup chopped celery
1½ pint beef stock ( or 1½ beef stock cube and 1½ pint water)
1½ pint chicken stock ( or 1½ chicken stock cube and 1½pint water)
1 cup pearl barley
1½ tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
1½ tablespoons chopped fresh corriander leaf
2 bay leaves
1¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
1. Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium heat.
2. Coat meat in flour (discard any flour not used)
3. Brown meat in oil.. then remove with a slotted spoon and put on one side.
4. Add vegetables to the pot; sauté 10 minutes.
5. Return meat to the pot.
6. Add both stocks; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
7. Add barley, thyme Corriander and Bayleaves.
8. Simmer, stirring occasionally (approx 3 hrs till beef is very tender).
Can be made 1 day ahead. Chill uncovered until cold, then cover and keep in fridge.
(Return to boil, then simmer before continuing.)
9. Mix in parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
approx 10 servings.