1. Heat oil in a large heavy pot over medium-high heat.
2. Add onions and fry over a low heat till until tender. About 12 minutes.
3. Add garlic; and stir for approx 1 minute.
4. Add squash, 2½ pints broth and bring to boil.
5. Reduce heat and cover. Simmer until squash is soft, about 40 minutes.
6. Cool slightly.
7. Puree soup in blender a little at a time, until smooth. Return puree to pot.
8. Add dried thyme, 2 tsp.parsley and orange peel.
9. Thin soup with more broth if desired.
10.Simmer for 3 minutes.
11.Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Ladle soup into bowls.
Swirl 1 tablespoon Roasted Red Pepper Puree into soup in each bowl.
Sprinkle with remaining 2 teaspoons parsley and serve.
Makes 6 servings.
ROASTED RED PEPPER PUREE
1 cup coarsely chopped roasted/grilled red peppers
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
1. Halve and de-seed peppers.
2. Coat in sesame oil and roast, grill or griddle on a high light for approx
6 mins till soft and slightly brown.
3. Allow to cool.
4. Puree all ingredients in processor until smooth.
5. Season with salt and pepper.