1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
6 cups chicken stock
1 1/2 pounds parsnips, peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 medium Granny Smith apples
1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt.
1 cup sunflower oil
salt & pepper to taste
1. Melt butter with olive oil in large heavy pot over medium-high heat.
2. Add onion and sauté until translucent, about 3 minutes.
3. Add curry powder and stir for 30 seconds.
4. Add broth and parsnips.
5. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low.
6. Simmer uncovered until parsnips are soft, about 30 minutes.
7. Remove from heat and cool for about 15 minutes.
8. Puree soup in blender a little at a time until smooth.
9. Return to pot.
10. Using vegetable peeler, remove apple peel in long strips and put to one side.
11. Core, and coarsely shred apples.
12. Whisk yogurt until thinned a little and stir into soup with grated apples.
13. Heat sunflower oil in medium frying pan over medium-high heat.
14. Slice reserved apple peel lengthwise into very thin strips and fry in oil until golden and crisp.
15. Transfer to paper towels to drain and sprinkle peel with salt.
The soup can be made 1 day ahead. If you wish to do so cover and chill.
16. Warm soup over medium heat, stirring occasionally (do not boil).
17. Season with salt and pepper.
18. Ladle soup into soup bowls and garnish with fried apple peel.