1. Cut onion, carrot and celery into thick short strips.
2. Heat oil in a large heavy pan and fry vegetable strips until just before browning, stirring occassionally.
3. Pour on water, add salt and pepper, let simmer for about 20mins.
4. Meanwhile, wash and cut spinach leaves into shreds, add to soup and cook for 10mins.
5. Roughly chop plum tomatoes.
6. Add tomotoes, macaroni, garlic, parsley and rosemary to the soup and simmer a further 10mins.
7. Adjust seasoning to suit and serve with grated Parmesan cheese is desired.