4 oz butter
1/2 pound button mushrooms, sliced
1/4 cup Cognac or brandy
1/2 cup canned crushed tomatoes with added puree
1/2 cup whipping cream
2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
2 x 7 to 8-ounce smoked haddock fillets
1/2 cup grated Gruyère cheese
1. Preheat grill.
2. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in heavy large pan over medium-high heat.
3. Add mushrooms and cook until golden, about 7 minutes.
4. Add Cognac. simmer until liquid reduces to glaze.
5. Reduce heat to medium.
6. Add tomatoes, cream and thyme.
7. Simmer until sauce thickens, stirring occasionally, about 7 minutes.
8. Season with salt and pepper.
9. Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in another heavy large frying pan over medium-high heat.
10. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
11. Add fish to pan.
12. Sauté until just cooked through, about 3 minutes per side.
13. Transfer fish to oven-proof baking dish.
14. Spoon sauce over.
15. Sprinkle cheese over.
16. Grill until cheese melts, about 2 minutes.