¼ cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
5 pound rump of beef
2 tablespoons fat or oil
2 onions, sliced, or 10-12 small white onions, peeled
1 or 2 carrots, scraped and cubed
½ teaspoon Mixed Herbs
3 Bay Leaves
1 cup Stock: Veg or Beef
Other vegetables as desired ( e.g.Potatoes, Parsnips, Mushrooms)
1. Season the flour with the salt and pepper.
2. Coat the meat with the flour mixture.
3. Heat oil.
4. Fry onions till soft and golden.
5. Add meat and brown on all sides.
6. Cover and cook over low heat 10 minutes.
7. Add the carrots (and Parsnips if desired), herbs, seasonings and stock.
8. Re-cover, tightly and simmer 3½ - 4 hours, until meat is fork tender.
9. Add desired vegetables during the last 20 or 30 minutes.
1. For part of the liquid, use a can of puréed tomatoes or the juice of a can of plum tomatoes.
For seasoning, add 1 tablespoon minced parsley or dill.
When the meat has been removed from the pan, add 1 cup sour cream to the sauce.
2. For the liquid, use ½ cup dry white wine, Chicken Stock
and 1 tablespoon chili sauce. For seasoning, add 4-6 coriander seeds and 12 peppercorns.
3. For the liquid, use ½ cup syrup from canned fruit,
2 tablespoons vinegar, ½ cup water, 1 beef stock cube.
For seasoning, add a pinch of powdered fennel and a teaspoon of minced dill.