2.7kg (6lb) Beef Brisket, lean
285g (10oz) Coarse Salt
4 tbsp Soft Brown Sugar
2 tbsp Black Peppercorns, coarsely crushed
1 tbsp Coriander Seeds, coarsely crushed
2 table sp Balsamic Vinegar
1 tsp Saltpetre
2 Bay Leaf, crushed
½ tblsp Ground Mace
½ tbsp Ground Ginger
1. Place the beef in a ceramic or plastic container (metal would be unsuitable)
2. rub half of the salt well into the beef.
3. Cover the container with clingfilm and refrigerate for 12 hours, turning once.
4. Remove the meat from the container
5. rinse and dry well with kitchen towels.
6. Mix all of the other ingredients together.
7. Rub the mixture into the beef, ensuring its whole area is covered.
8. Place the beef into the cleaned container.
9. Cover with clingfilm and refrigerate for 10 days.
10.Turn the beef every day.
11.After 10 days, remove from the refrigerator, rinse well.
3 Bay Leaves
1 dsrt sp Curry Pwd
½ tbl sp Ground Ginger
12.Place into a saucepan containing enough simmering unsalted water to cover.
13.add Bay leaves curry pwd & ginger
14.Simmer gently for 3-3½ hours or until tender.
15.If serving hot, serve immediately
If serving cold.
16. remove from pan
17. Replace beef into pan when cleaned
18. cover with a flat plate that will just fit inside the pan.
19. stand a heavy weight on top of the plate.
20. When cold place in the refrigerator
21. leave over night
Slice and serve with Horseradish Sauce or Mustard.