4 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves,finely chopped
2 teaspoons ground cumin
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1 pint of vegetable stock
3/4 cup dried lentils, rinsed
3/4 cup long-grain white rice
2 large onions, sliced
3 tomatoes, quartered lengthwise
1 cucumber, peeled, cut into rounds
Chopped fresh mint
1. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat.
2. Fry chopped onion and next 4 ingredients, until onion softens, about 4 minutes.
3. Add broth and lentils, bring to boil.
4. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered for 10 minutes.
5. Stir in rice, return to boil.
6. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook until liquid is absorbed
and rice and lentils are tender, about 15 minutes.
7. Heat 1 tablespoons oil in heavy large frying pan over medium-high heat.
8. Add sliced onions, lightly fry until soft and beginning to blacken, about 20 minutes.
9. Add salt & pepper to taste.
10. Transfer to plates; top with blackened onions.
11. Place tomatoes and cucumber alongside.
12. Top with a tablespoon of yogurt.
13. Decorate with mint.