About 4 cups vegetable oil
1 medium or large parsnip
1. Heat 1 inch oil in a heavy saucepan over moderate heat until almost boiling.
2. While oil heats, peel parsnip, then shave as many ribbons as possible from parsnip with vegetable peeler.
3. Fry ribbons in 3 batches, stirring frequently, until edges are golden but middles are still pale, about 40 seconds to 1 minute per batch.
4. Transfer parsnips as fried with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain, then season lightly with salt.
5. (Return oil to original temperature between batches.) Parsnips will crisp as they cool.
If you have a thermometer, temperature should register 360°
Parsnip crisps can be made in advance if kept in an airtight container.
To recrisp place on a baking tray within 2 hours of serving in a preheated 350°F oven for 3 to 5 minutes
(be careful not to let them brown).
If parsnips are not crisp once cooled, return to oven briefly.
Makes enough for 2