2 cups whole-wheat flour
2 cups all-purpose flour plus additional for kneading
1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 stick (1/2 cup) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 cups well-shaken buttermilk
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Butter a 9- by 2-inch round cake pan.
3. Mix together flours, wheat germ, salt, sugar, baking soda, and cream of tartar in a large bowl until combined well.
4. Rub in butter with fingertips until mixture resembles bread crumbs.
5. Make a well in center and add buttermilk.
6. Stir until a dough forms.
7. Gently knead on a floured surface, until smooth, about 3 minutes.
8. Add more flour if necessary to keep dough from sticking,
9. Shape dough to a round and place on oven tray. Flatten slightly.
10. With a sharp knife, cut an X (1/2 inch deep) across top of dough.
11. Place in centre of oven, for approx. 30 to 40 minutes, until lightly browned and sounds hollow on bottom when tapped.
12. Place on a rack to cool, right side up, for about 1 hour.